Wichita State looking into women’s basketball transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
    Good news, now it's time for Coach Adams to get back to work to bring us another MVC Title!
    The ends justify the means? Or is my meter broke?

Comment

• Excited is definitely not the right word, but I am looking forward to reading the "joint statement." It could be very telling.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        The ends justify the means? Or is my meter broke?
        Don't feel bad, I can't tell either. I'm hoping it's sarcasm and our meters are broke, but unfortunately there are a lot of people that have gotten the win at all costs attitude

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
          That's what I'm thinking too, and while I would understand it, it would be a shame if some of these players and families don't fight back. IMO, WSU is losing a lot of credibility right now in several different areas, but mostly with the athletics department.
          I just don't know what the players and their families have to gain by fighting back other than perhaps to prove their grievances were real and serious. Maybe Wichita State will at least acknowledge that this afternoon. But why put yourself through any more misery even if they don't acknowledge that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            Excited is definitely not the right word, but I am looking forward to reading the "joint statement." It could be very telling.
            Or not. It will be very carefully worded and parsed by Jody's attorney and by the WSU legal counsel. I don't think anyone will be copping a guilty plea to anything.

We will probably get something like this:

Comment

• Don't get it

I've been wondering if we'd be seeing anything about this if HCJA was a man. What are the accusations (let alone what has been verified)?

That a player's car keys were taken away? How many parents wouldn't occasionally like to take their teenagers keys away from them? The University stands in a parental role (that's the law, not just something I'm throwing out for the sake of the argument).

That a player was pinned to a wall? Notice that the assistant who did that is gone now. Notice also that the player in question was dismissed from the team for repeated violations of University policy.

That players were yelled at in a rough manner? Please. Ask any male D-1 players if they think that crosses the line. I asked the ones I know. They all laughed.

That the coach(es) were controlling? UCLA legend John Wooden started every season by insisting his players tie their shoelaces they way he (Wooden) wanted. Has HCJA done anything more controlling than that?

If we want to have a discussion about what level of civility should be required in all D-1 sports programs, and not just the WSU women's basketball team, then fine, this is all pertinent. I'd even entertain a discussion about whether we should treat women D-1 players more gently than the men, even though I think that's a bad idea. As we're seeing from the related news, though, hundreds of women D-1 players transfer away from their schools every year. I just don't get what makes this situation unique.

Maybe I'm missing something. If so, feel free to blast away.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Or not. It will be very carefully worded and parsed by Jody's attorney and by the WSU legal counsel.
                That's what I mean though, if there were findings, they will almost certainly fill the statement with legal jargon. On the other hand, if they found evidence of NO wrongdoing, it will be written to be more easily understood by us non-attorney types.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I just don't know what the players and their families have to gain by fighting back other than perhaps to prove their grievances were real and serious. Maybe Wichita State will at least acknowledge that this afternoon. But why put yourself through any more misery even if they don't acknowledge that.
                  Maybe a full release?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaulding1977 View Post
                    Maybe a full release?
                    Maybe Michaela and Moriah would like to go to Missouri State since it is close to home in Branson but I don't know if MSU even has any scholarships available. However, I think they may have a number of other options that will work well for them (although that is mostly a guess). With Michaela having only 1 year of eligibility left and having to sit out a year could be an issue. Not sure Alie will play again. I think she only needed 6 hours to complete her degree and would have taken those this summer if the classes she needed would be available. Maybe she will try to get a year or two of paid grad school work in somewhere. I have no idea what Kayla White will do. A good D-II program might be a good choice for her or she may just give up the game. Maybe all of them will just walk away from the game and just become regular students.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 5, 2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• If she stays with a provision that her conduct will be monitored by an outside party, please make sure it is not BE.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                        2nd time around for Jody. Weak sauce in my opinion. Good luck recruiting.
                        Ironically, Jody has left herself a cupboard that is emptier than what she inherited from Jane Albright. When she took over from Jane she inherited Marcy Sudbeck, Daria Frazier, Haleigh Lankster and Jacie Hoyt. So Jody definitely has her work cut out for her although being in such a weak conference makes it a little easier. She definitely needs to do a better job trying to weed out these mentally weak, undisciplined players who are not up to the rigors of a D-1 program and be more astute in her recruiting. Of course, if she can find another Alex Harden or two she will be in tall cotton.

I think Jody probably thought she would have moved on to the big time by now especially with the on the court success she has had at Wichita State.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                          If she stays with a provision that her conduct will be monitored by an outside party, please make sure it is not BE.
                          How would BE be considered an outside party? I could see Dr. Bardo appointing Julie Scherz to that role although I don't know if she has the time or inclination to accept it.

Comment

She definitely needs to do a better job trying to weed out these mentally weak, undisciplined players who are not up to the rigors of a D-1 program and be more astute in her recruiting.
                            I sense a slight degree of sarcasm in that sentence.

Edit: I kid because I care. I am NOT saying that the sarcasm isn't 100% warranted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaulding1977 View Post
                              I've been wondering if we'd be seeing anything about this if HCJA was a man. What are the accusations (let alone what has been verified)?

That a player's car keys were taken away? How many parents wouldn't occasionally like to take their teenagers keys away from them? The University stands in a parental role (that's the law, not just something I'm throwing out for the sake of the argument).

That a player was pinned to a wall? Notice that the assistant who did that is gone now. Notice also that the player in question was dismissed from the team for repeated violations of University policy.

That players were yelled at in a rough manner? Please. Ask any male D-1 players if they think that crosses the line. I asked the ones I know. They all laughed.

That the coach(es) were controlling? UCLA legend John Wooden started every season by insisting his players tie their shoelaces they way he (Wooden) wanted. Has HCJA done anything more controlling than that?

If we want to have a discussion about what level of civility should be required in all D-1 sports programs, and not just the WSU women's basketball team, then fine, this is all pertinent. I'd even entertain a discussion about whether we should treat women D-1 players more gently than the men, even though I think that's a bad idea. As we're seeing from the related news, though, hundreds of women D-1 players transfer away from their schools every year. I just don't get what makes this situation unique.

Maybe I'm missing something. If so, feel free to blast away.
                              Not going to blast away, but will pose a couple of questions. Why is such women's team players/coach situations not more prevalent if Jody's approach is the norm and her players are the norm within successful programs? Or, is Jody simply a poor judge of the type of personalities/character strengths of those she recruits? Are you saying women should, but cannot handle being yelled at in a rough manner (although I don't believe any of the young women have complained about that as you describe it)? Women do transfer from other D-I programs, but not nearly the rate of men transfers, and, even more so, not at the rate they have transferred from WSU or a previous D-I program that Jody and Dana were both a part of. This is not a red flag?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                I sense a slight degree of sarcasm in that sentence.

Edit: I kid because I care. I am NOT saying that the sarcasm isn't 100% warranted.

Some. But, if as the consensus of those supporting Jody is correct and the problem isn't Jody but it is that these young ladies that are leaving the program early just are not mentally or physically tough enough for the rigors of her program she needs to do a better job of recruiting the kind of player that is up to those rigors. Would that not avoid or eliminate a lot of these issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X